Subject: RE: Connect-a-Mac
From: Bob Hassinger <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 1994 9:39:25 -0400 (EDT)

Nir Hermoni writes:

>Since we're considering the Emplant anyway, I asked Utilities Unlimited if
>the Emplant could use an Amiga ethernet card. They replied, and I quote:
>
>'Not yet, you have to use a SCSI-EtherTalk adapter.'
>
>OK. I can imagine what this adapter might do, but I've never heard/read
>anything about it. My guess is it lets you use the scsi port as an
>ethertalk port, and I assume that the Mac software to take advantage of it
>exists.
>
>Has anyone heard of such a thing, and if so, can you provide me more
>relevant info (Software needed, prices, contacts)?

We have "DynaPort" boxes here that go from LocalTalk ports (serial port) to
10BaseT which connects to the Ethernet.  They are mostly used with PowerBooks
that don't have a way to install Ethernet/10BaseT interfaces.  I _think_ there
is a similar box that can go directly to Ethernet (most likely thinwire, but
maybe thickwire too).

I am hoping to be able to use one of those with an Emplant here when I get it
set up.  I am curious why UU would say you can only do Ethernet through the
SCSI port.  The most fundamental way to network any Mac is via LocalTalk and I
certainly hope Emplant can work through that port and not run into a problem
with the DynaPort boxes adapting to the Ethernet.